Saturday, August 28, 2010

Yudu

I bought my Yudu 2 days ago and have been itching to open the box and start printing! Tonight was the night. I made my first set of prints and learned a few things along the way. Here is how it all came together.



This is Julia (who's almost 4) watching me set up my Yudu machine. I explained it was a special craft machine just for moms. She sat and coloured while I made my screen. Julia LOVES to colour and does so 24/7. Even when I put her to bed tonight she said "But mommy, I don't want to sleep, I just want to colour." A girl after my own heart.


Yudu machine unpacked. Julia showing off the next picture she's about to colour.




Here is the first batch of designs I tried out. Of course there is a specific brand of Yudu transparencies that are way over priced. I picked up a set of regular transparencies at Staples and they work just fine. The screen is 11 x 14 (odd size for printing) so I just printed 2 - 8 X 11 sheets and put them next to each other when I exposed my screen.


First I had to put the emulsion on my screen. Unfortunately my emulsion paper was wrinkled on one side, so it's didn't work properly there. When I first applied the emulsion it looked very rough and I didn't actually think it would work, but it did.


I exposed the screen with the Yudu, washed it off and my pattern showed up. Here is the finished screen all taped off and ready to print! When I was finished screening my prints I washed my screen and will save it for another day to try out the other patterns on the screen. Tonight I only worked with one.



Placed my mustard yellow napkin on the sticky surface.

 


Applying ink.


Flooding the screen.


Very first print!!! I was so worried about not pressing hard enough I went way too hard and the image bled.


I printed a total of 8 napkins, not one was perfect, but they were getting much better with each try. The last one was almost perfect, crisp and clean just a little spot that didn't have enough ink.

In the end I think I am going to be very happy with this machine. Like a lot of the reviews say, the fan really doesn't do much of anything. I ended up using my hair dryer to finish the drying process.

I am excited to get more ink, fabric and screen to print, print, print! It's good to know that I don't have to buy Yudu inks, too expensive. I'll see if I can find Speedball ones online for a decent price. I will gradually stock up on screen and emulsion paper through Michaels' using 40% off coupons one at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I like it!! I can't wait to see it in action.
    And Julia. I love her! (Even if sometimes she loves me, sometimes she forgets my name. . . .)
    You have such a good apprentice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! Sarah, it looks fantastic. And personally, I like the look of "imperfect" hand-printed items. Julia is adorable- love her pageboy haircut!

    ReplyDelete